The City of Gastonia has entered into an agreement with Gaston County to perform inspections and permitting services for the City of Gastonia. This partnership will centralize building inspections and permits for all of Gaston County. The changeover from the City to County is set for completion on Monday, August 29.
“Our goal is to make things as seamless as possible for those who are familiar with the process on the city side until the full changeover is completed later this month,” said Assistant City Manager Quentin McPhatter. “Gastonia is growing and therefore, the demand for building inspections and permitting service are increasing. This partnership will maximize existing resources in a centralized manner that will improve customer service for all citizens of Gaston County.”
Important Dates to Remember for the Changeover
Friday, August 19, 2022, at 5:01 p.m.
- Applications for construction-related building permits will no longer be accepted at the City of Gastonia. The City will start requiring a Zoning Permit related to these – see August 29 information below.
- Inspections for all currently active City construction permits – Permits can be requested through the Gaston County Self Service portal.
Monday, August 22 to Sunday, August 28, 2022
- System Freeze – The City of Gastonia will not accept Building Construction permit applications in order to prepare the City’s system for users to select the Zoning permit through the City’s portal. If an emergency presents itself where a permit is required during this time, please contact the City to provide direction on the process.
Monday, August 29, 2022 – Go Live
- The City will go live with its new Zoning Permit application and will start accepting these applications on this date. Once the applicant has a Zoning Permit from the City of Gastonia they will be able to apply for a Building Construction Permit with Gaston County.
- Gaston County will not issue a Certificate of Occupancy for permits if a Certificate of Completion has not been issued by the City of Gastonia, if applicable.
When completed later this month, the changeover will have permitting and building inspections functions for all 13 municipalities in Gaston County on one centralized system.
Contractors working on City of Gastonia projects who do not have an account with Gaston County’s Department of Building and Development Services should create an account to access permits and schedule inspections. Accounts can be created online at: https://energovweb.gastongov.com/EnerGovProd/SelfService#/home
Anyone with questions can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 704-866-6729 and press option 3.