Gastonia Police celebrated four sergeants’ promotions, and 10 recently hired officers were sworn in during a ceremony on Aug. 23 in the police department’s community room.
Recently promoted sergeants are Scott McClure, Adam Wilson, Chris Waldroup, and Pat Spiker. McClure and Wilson became sergeants effective on July 27. Waldroup’s promotion to sergeant was Aug. 17, 2017, and Spiker’s was Nov. 28, 2017.
Sgt. McClure was hired in Sept. 8, 2008, and has served in Patrol and as a detective in the Criminal Investigations Division (CID), primarily on property crimes and fraud cases. While in the CID, he also served as a Task Force Officer for the Internal Revenue Service’s Anti-Money Laundering Task Force from May 2013-May 2015. He has served with the U.S. Coast Guard and holds a master’s degree from the American Military University.
Sgt. Wilson was hired Jan. 12, 2009, after working four years with the Dallas Police Department. With the GPD he has served in Patrol, with the SWAT Team, as a Gang Intelligence Liaison, with the Street Crimes Unit, and as the ABC Enforcement Officer. He has served on the Chief’s Advisory Board, with the GPD recruitment team, the GPD Special Olympics North Carolina fundraising committee, and as an Explorer advisor. He currently serves as the City of Gastonia’s Health and Wellness chairman, with the North Carolina Human Relations Commission, and with the Gaston County Parks and Recreation Advisory Board. He holds a master’s degree from East Carolina University, and is pursuing a doctorate in Criminal Justice from Nova Southeastern University.
Sgt. Spiker was hired April 29, 2013, with experience from Gaston County Police, Rock Hill Police, Shelby Police, and the Catawba Nuclear Station. He has served with the U.S. Army Reserves, the U.S. Air Guard, and the U.S. Department of Defense. He holds a bachelor’s degree from Appalachian State University.
Sgt. Waldroup was hired Oct. 18, 2010, and has served in Patrol, the Street Crimes Unit, and as a Juvenile Investigations detective. He has served with GPD’s Honor Guard, the Shift Tactical Team, as a Police Training Officer, with the Sniper Team, and as a Gang Intelligence Liaison. He’s a recipient of the Unit Meritorious Service Award for work in connection with the Democratic National Convention. He holds an associate degree from Gaston College.
Recently hired officers are:
- Drew Denton – hired on Dec. 11, 2017. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from University of North Carolina at Charlotte, and he completed Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) at Gaston College in May 2018.
- Joshua Humphrey – hired on July 23 from the Asheville Police Department where he served for four years.
- Alex Koeppel-Calzada – hired on Jan. 19. He served in the U.S. Army, and holds an associate degree in Computer Technology Integration from Cleveland Community College. He completed BLET at Cleveland Community College on Dec. 15, 2017.
- Christopher MacKay – hired on Nov. 6, 2017. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from UNCC. He completed BLET at Gaston College on May 25.
- Joshua McSwain – hired on Jan. 22 from the Cherryville Police Department where he served over seven years. He holds an associate degree in Middle Grades Education from Gaston College.
- Robert Morell – hired on Nov. 6, 2017. He completed BLET at Gaston College.
- Robert Rollins – hired on on Jan. 8. He completed BLET at Gaston College on May 25.
- Kurtis Snyder – hired on Nov. 20, 2017. He holds a bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice from ASU, and completed BLET at Gaston College on May 25.
- Mark Tant – hired on May 14 from G4S, which provides security for the Charlotte Area Transit System, where he served as an officer for over four years. He completed BLET at Gaston College.
- Alexis Williams – hired on Jan. 8. She completed the BLET program at Gaston College on May 25.