City of Gastonia offices will be closed on Nov. 11 for Veterans Day, and several municipal services will be affected by the holiday. Because of COVID-19, this year’s Veterans Day Parade in Gastonia has been canceled. The Gaston County Veterans Council decided not to hold the annual parade and ceremony because of pandemic-related limits on crowd sizes and to avoid jeopardizing the safety and wellbeing of veterans who might have increased health risks.
Open on Veterans Day:
- Schiele Museum of Natural History
- Gastonia City parks
Guests are asked to follow COVID-19 protocols.
Changes in services on Veterans Day:
- City administrative offices are closed. Most City buildings are already closed to the public because of COVID-19.
- No City Transit service on 11.
- No garbage collection on Nov. 11. Wednesday customers will have their garbage carts emptied on Thursday, Nov. 12.
- No leaf vacuuming or excess household trash collection on Nov. 11 or 12.
Residents can use the WasteWise app to receive personalized notifications about holiday-related changes to Solid Waste collection. Customers can also use the “My Schedule” tool on the City’s webpage to keep track of their garbage collection schedule.
All five Gastonia community centers serve as polling places and will not offer recreation activities Monday through Wednesday, Nov. 2-4, because of the elections and related cleaning.